Principal Applied Data Science Engineer
Remote position located in the United States
The Principal Applied Data Science Engineer will play a vital role in providing technical expertise to Applied Data Science. As a subject matter expert, this role establishes best practices and standard frameworks for company-wide applied data science activities in an effort to support Metrum’s goal of defeating disease, especially in areas of unmet need.
You will help support the services and solutions of a global leading company in biomedical modeling & simulation with the mission of improving health and defeating disease.
- Work with scientists and other stakeholders to develop interactive scientific applications, primarily in the R shiny framework, to drive high-quality quantitatively-driven decisions.
- Help define best practices and frameworks, and provide cross-team expertise on developing, deploying, and lifecycle maintenance of interactive scientific applications.
- Actively participate in the development and maintenance of internal and open-source software to support scientific modeling and simulation work, including data processing, model diagnostics, and model traceability and reproducibility.
- Assist in the building, deploying, and maintaining tools used in public cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Potentially participate in advanced research as part of client-facing scientific services projects.
- 5+ years of professional experience with scripting languages such as R or Python.
- Demonstrable expertise with the R programming language
- Significant experience developing and deploying R packages and applications with emphasis on Shiny apps
- Experience with RStudio Connect
- Professional experience with version control systems such as git.
- Experience in collaborating across teams, with scientists and less technical users, to build computationally efficient user-centric tools and software
- A strong drive to learn and share learnings with others.
- Significant experience with R internals, i.e. how R and RStudio interact with the system environment, dependency management in R, etc.
- Significant experience developing and deploying R Shiny apps, ideally via RStudio Connect.
- Applied data science and development experience using RStudio Workbench
- Experience supporting or doing scientific work, ideally in the life sciences.
- Experience developing and releasing software packages/libraries/modules.
- Experience with concurrency and parallel processing.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Statistics required, or equivalent work experience
- Masters/Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Statistics preferred or equivalent work experience
- 1-5 year’s of data science and/or programming experience
Metrum Research Group is a leading provider of biomedical modeling and simulation services in the U.S.A. and internationally. Founded in 2004, our experience spans R&D efforts for small molecule pharmaceuticals, biologic therapeutics, diagnostics, and medical device/drug-device combinations, across multiple therapeutic areas.
Metrum Research Group is an equal opportunity employer.